2012年4月7日星期六

WordPress 2.5 Changed My Post Writing Habits

WordPress 2.5 is released and everyone wants to grab the latest version of the sleeker, faster and beautiful WordPress. I upgraded to WordPress 2.5 and started to write a few new posts, and was surprised by the range of new features offered while writing a post. here are a few of them.


1. Easier to keep embedded codes in edited posts- Now the HTML (formerly Code) screen loads up for me before the Visual editor. Earlier, whenever I cut paste the embedded youtube video codes, and edited the post, the visual editor would load first and corrupt the embed code, which had to be pasted again, so in a post with multiple videos, you can imagine my fear of editing such posts. In fact I had got the EasyTube plugin to counter this flaw. Now I can safely post more embedded videos. Just found the insert embedded media icon in the second row, that will let me insert and embed any media file. Cool.


2. I forget to add categories. Since the categories screen has shifted below the post writing panel, I am always forgetting to add categories. Well, I need to get used to it soon.


3. How to Save and Continue Editing - I kept on saving and previewing my posts using this button, which is gone now. Ok, so I learn to press save, while keeping the Publish status as Unpublished.


4. Easy to go Full Screen – I used to keep dragging the text box to enlarge my writing space. In addition I used to press F11 to go full screen in Firefox and get more writing space. But the Toggle Full screen Mode (ALT+SHIFT+G) is even better as it not only moves the clutter away, but provides you amazing space to write as much as you like.


5. Blockquotes in Visual Editor – For some strange reason, blockquote was missing in the visual editor earlier. I had to constantly go to code mode to add blockquotes. Thankfully its there now.


6. Easier slug editing - Now the permalink is easier to visualize and there is a separate save link for the slug. Now it is easier to remember that you need to fix up the permalink for SEO purposes as it is placed right above the post. Though long slugs get shortened with dots and you may need to actually verify if the slug is to your choice.


7. Easier to add / align images – Earlier if you wanted to add 3 images, upload each one individually, then put in the post, then switch to visual mode and left align it. Now it is much easier to add multiple images in a jiffy and easily align them while inserting them. Cool!


8. No more multi-author autosave overwriting – The autosave feature was a boon, since it saves your post periodically preventing it from being lost if your browser crashes etc. But for multiple authors simultaneously editing a post, it kept on overwriting each others edits. Now autolock-in will prevent you from saving until the other person is done.


9. No Mistaken Private Posts – It was easier to wrongly mark a post as private, yet published in the older panel, tucked away under a closed Post Status menu. Now the private post checkbox is separated, sitting boldly in front and there is no chance to mark private posts by mistake while editing them.


10. Future Post made easier – In future posts, if you forgot to click the edit timestamp checkbox by mistake, the post would go live instantly when published. Now the checkbox has gone away and when you edit the timestamp link and change the timestamp, it will definitely work.


11. Tagging Delight – Its now so easy to add and delete tags. Simply keep adding tags magically and delete them with one click. Amazingly fast.


12. Better readability – the CSS changes have not only beautified the interface, but also changed the default writing fonts, such that reading and writing text is now much easier and with less eye strain.


I am just a few hours old on WordPress 2.5 and these are my initial reactions when I tried to write a few new posts in WordPress. This is a great improvement to the wordpress interface and a highly recommended upgrade. Just brought back some more pleasure in writing. WordPress rocks.





Related articles you might like ...

没有评论:

发表评论